8/20/2009

First Week Done!

Well, the first week of classes are completed and in the past. This week went by so quickly and was suprisingly fun. On Monday I started my online drug calculations course and on Thursday took the first test (earned a 24/24). On Tuesday my obstretrics class began with a med math test. Thankfully I didn't forget anything over the summer and received a 15/15. On Wednesday, was my first day of clinical. I was so nervous walking in, not knowing what to expect. The first thing I did after orientation was give a Vitamin K injection to a 2 hour old baby. I felt so bad. I do not like to hurt precious little babies. I had to put a foley into a soon-to-be mom and also watched an epidural inserted into that same soon-to-be mom. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch any babies born that day (my patient didn't have her baby until after we left), but I did stand outside a room and listen to the miracle of life. Even though I didn't see, I still was teary-eyed. It's so amazing hearing that first cry of life. I think I'm going to love this five week course. Don't want to do it for a living though. I'm not sure I could handle a baby born not breathing, nor do I want the opportunity to find out.

1 comment:

Sutton Family said...

After highschool I worked as a nurses aid in a labor and delivery unit. It was such an amazing place to be... such extremes between life and death every day- the greatest joys and the deepest sorrows. The docters and nurses were all trying to convert me into going into a medical course of study and so they took me everywhere... I think you have chosen a wonderful profession. The work of angels.