4/21/2009

Frustrated Beyond Belief!!!!

Anybody have any ideas on how to get a little boy particpating/trying in school again. Our middle child has always been on the Honor Roll for all A's until the last 9 weeks. He was on for all A's and one B, which is awesome and not the problem. The problem, is that he is now beginning to struggle. He's having a hard time with comprehension and doing very VERY poorly. He's bringing home failing grades on papers. Any ideas or websites that you know of that I can get him on and thinking that he's just playing while he's actually learning?
He was behind a little in school compared to the rest of the kids when we first moved here for first grade, but quickly caught up. It's amazing what the kindergartners learn out here and what they are required to know before entering first grade. I now see it first-hand since Kaity is currently in Kindergarten.
Anyways, he's now in 3rd grade and beginning to struggle and I'm at my wits end. I don't think he has a learning disability; just getting lazy and uninterested in school. At the beginning of the year he took the Ohio Achievement Test and scored Advanced, but now he's having a hard time. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

The 6 Knight's said...

Kim,
It must be the stubborn bonds coming out in Matthew, as Jenny did the same thing this year. She went from getting great grades to not really caring. I waited it out a few weeks. She has totally turned around and now things are fine. I think she just hit that spot during the year when she didn't really care and she was tired of doing all the school work. Matthew is probably feeling the same way. We marked on the calendar at home when the last day of school is and Jenny marks off the days. We tell her that if she tries really hard the rest of the school year, then we will reward her on the last day of school. See if that works.

Love
Shelley

Dover Fam said...

Kim,
It must be boys and it must be third grade. Logan was the same way, top in his class, even above grade level. But in third grade he started to struggle, his mind started to wander, wouldn't do great on tests. BUT on the end of year testing he was two grades ahead. I then put two and two together-he wasn't being challenged enough. So when he would get home I would try to find harder stuff online and have him do that. I will look for the websites I used. He is now in fifth grade and is so focused on the end of the year, his grades are slipping again. I would just be patient and see if he bounces back. If not, then I would go talk to the teacher and see if he/she has any ideas......hope I was helpful.
Good Luck.
mandee