1/07/2009

Greatest Mom Award!!

Okay, so tonight, I earned the World's Greatest Mom Award. (note underlining sarcasm) So, here's what happened. My son had a friend over after school to do homework together. He ended up staying for dinner and playtime. At 6:30 I decided it was time to take him home. The little boy has a rolling backpack so it had to be put in the back of the car. Once the kids were all in, I proceeded to back out of the garage. I had gotten about a quarter of a mile down the road and the kids were cold for some reason, I had the heater on so I couldn't figure out why they were cold. Nathan turned around and said, "the back of the car is still open." I shouldn't have assumed that the kids had closed the hatch after they put their stuff in it. So, I pulled off to the side of the road so Nathan could close the door. He decided to climb over the back seat to close the door. Once the door was closed, I started to drive off again, telling Nathan that he better not have stepped on my seats with his shoes, when all of a sudden I look to the right and notice my 11 year old kid, Nathan, running alongside the car with no coat on waving at me to stop. I could have sworn that he had closed the hatch from the inside, but apparently, he had grabbed onto the door and jumped down to the ground and closed the door. I felt so bad, but as soon as he got in the car and I made sure he was okay I just started laughing. I couldn't help it, seeing him running in the snow with no coat, I couln't contain my laughter. What's funny is that I had forgotten my cell phone and my husband had noticed me driving off with the hatch up and was unable to reach me. This could all have been avoided if I'd taken my cell phone with me. AND to top it off, the boys thought it was so funny that they ran into his friend's house and told the parents. I was so mortified, the kid's dad is a sergeant at our police station and his mom was a childrens social worker for our county. Can you tell I'm stressed and nervous about going back to school tomorrow?

4 comments:

Christie said...

you are a nut. you had me laughing as i read about your evening. :)

Dover Fam said...

That is the funniest thing I have read all day!!!!!!!!! you are awesome

The 6 Knight's said...

Kim,
That is hilarious. It sounds like something i would have done. I can picture Nathan running beside the car and i can't help but laugh.

Sutton Family said...

That is too hilirious!