1/02/2009

Resolutions? No, I Set Goals!

So, another year is upon us and I, like everyone else, am working on my New Years resolutions. I try to set "goals" that are reasonable and varying levels of challenge. What are your resolutions, do you make resolutions? I'll be honest, in the past, I have made resolutions that I quickly forget about once life starts getting busy again. Therefore, this year I'm calling them goals. So, here are a few of my "goals" for this year. I would love to hear about your resolutions and any suggestions.

1. Get birthday cards out this year to every family and friend each month. (I'm going today to purchase cards at 2 for $1, address and label them and set them up in a file that lists them per month. Then, all I have to do is pull them out at the beginning of the month, write a special message, stamp them and get them in the mailbox).

2. Start back at my aerobics class and keep with it. It's a free class at a local church, so I really have no excuse not to make it. The instructor also has a 10 minute devotional at the end of each class, which leads to my next goal. Also, I need to stick with it, even when I start my Pilates class in March.

3. Read my Bible everyday. I have a daily devotional for night and day, I've had them for atleast 4 years and shamelessly have not opened them, but maybe 2 times. My life should never be too busy to read the Word of God. Along with that, I need to start taking time-out each morning and night to pray and to give Thanks. Too many times, I fall asleep praying at night (not good) or I only think to pray when someone needs prayers or things aren't going the way I would like. God first, husband second, kids third, everything else will work itself out.

4. Graduate with my RN degree Dec. 11, 2009 and maintain "honors" and if I don't keep honors, that's okay. I can't believe that there is actually a date in sight. It feels unreal that I will finally graduate this year, I hope! I hear pediatrics is pretty hard because of the instructor.

5. I would like to have more patience with my kids. Sometimes I put other things, less important before them. Since I've been in school, I find that the little things they do, get on my nerves. I've little patience for the arguing, complaining, sibling rivalry, and tattle-telling. I need to learn ways of working with them, instead of losing my patience and yelling.

6. Take more time for Tim and I. We've been married for almost 12 years and we plan on staying married for years to come, but like all things it takes work and time together. We have a wonderful babysitter a block away and we don't use her nearly enough. Tim's work and my school interfere with our marriage too often and it's time to start scheduling date nights each month. Mark it on the calender and stick to it.

7. Appreciate my husband more and to tell him daily that I'm grateful for the his working hard at work and at home so that I can finish my schooling. He is so amazing and I take him for granted too often. When I'm in school, he helps with the laundry, pretty much does all of the dishes, finishes dinner (sometimes even has to make dinner), drives the kids to their activities, and makes sure that they have bathes every night. I wouldn't have made it this far in my schooling if it wasn't for his help and sacrifices.

So, these are my goals for this New Year of 2009. They probably seem simple to most, but with 3 kids and a home life tends to get in the way of the important things. I'd love to hear what some of your goals are for this year. I pray that each and everyone of you has a healthy and blessed 2009!

2 comments:

Sutton Family said...

Some of my goals are-
1) to take better care of my body- i.e. remembering to take my vitamens, stretch, exercise at least 3 times a week.
2) Be more focused with my prayers. I seem to always be on the go- I want to go into my room, shut the door and give myself some real time to commune.
3) Be more outgoing and forgiving of others. I seem to keep to myself alot. I want to be more proactive about being social.

Dover Fam said...

My number one goal is to be more patient with my kids. I am so very impatient and I need to grow up a little bit. :) Remember I am the adult.
I also want to focus on learning something new eachday.
Lastly, I want to work on my journal writing.